200#, 200 Point Maine Buck

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Cut the season to 3 weeks starting Nov 1 and get rid of the ML season. They can hunt during the regular season. No disadvantage with the ML's of today.

Two days before the 3 weeks gun season, you have a two day ML season for traditional ML's. You want to black powder hunt, man up.

This ends hunting in yards, and back yards.

Big D

Reaction score
And if we really want to talk about shame, so far we tried to shame:

the Passamaquoddys for shooting 60+ 200! pounders only a yard which isn’t true

Wayne for shooting a hand fed deeer in a yard which isn’t true

people for hunting where the deer are rather than where they want them to be

people who feed deer

people who don’t wear wool or do use technology

chapstick users
I give the chapstick users a thumbs up. Whatever it takes.

Big D

Reaction score
Cut the season to 3 weeks starting Nov 1 and get rid of the ML season. They can hunt during the regular season. No disadvantage with the ML's of today.

Two days before the 3 weeks gun season, you have a two day ML season for traditional ML's. You want to black powder hunt, man up.

This ends hunting in yards, and back yards.
I could see the possibility of a 3 week season if they were to ever allow sunday hunting. I don't believe the state would be able to achieve their harvest objectives in most zones w/ a shorter season though. It's really a tale of 2 states. Northern Maine, wherever you want to draw the line, is very different from southern Maine IMO. For the record I'm fine w/ the season we have.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I could see the possibility of a 3 week season if they were to ever allow sunday hunting. I don't believe the state would be able to achieve their harvest objectives in most zones w/ a shorter season though. It's really a tale of 2 states. Northern Maine, wherever you want to draw the line, is very different from southern Maine IMO. For the record I'm fine w/ the season we have.
Sunday hunting would be good.

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
Regardless of the area... IFW should at least try to help the resource (deer).In WMD 19 the deer will head to the yard early if the temps really drop for a stretch; we don't even need snow...just the cold. Northern & Western Maine it is the snow that sends them to the yards (sometimes early).Why not have rules in place for when this happens; when the deer are more vulnerable during hunting season. I am not one for more rules & regulations ; but we are talking about a deer herd that are not even holding there own (numbers wise) in some areas. Maine used to have a split season.Northern Maine rifle season would start a week or two early from the rest of the state and also close earlier...I believe.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Back in the 70's Maine had northern and southern zones. The season in the northern zone opened a week before the southern zone. Not sure but I believe it ended a week earlier too. Maybe going back to that would ease up on some of the feeding issues.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
That's because there is no right and wrong these days. No black and white. Everything is OK. You can indentify as a woman for the day and use the woman's rest room if you want.
Or kids can be "furry's" in school and bark and meow responses to questions. But god forbid my kid use the "wrong" pronoun that someone is identifying as that day. . . . . oh the world we live in.

groundtender

Reaction score
Back in the 70's Maine had northern and southern zones. The season in the northern zone opened a week before the southern zone. Not sure but I believe it ended a week earlier too. Maybe going back to that would ease up on some of the feeding issues.
The northern zone you refer to was everything north of the CP tracks that go east through Jackman, Greenville, and over to Danforth or Vanceboro. Had a 4 week rifle season ending Saturday after Thanksgiving. Three week Southern zone started a week later. Any deer was fair game, a good thing. Now IFW is saving deer from hunters so the coyotes won’t go hungry in winter, or so it seems

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
Very interesting...this conversation and the lengthy one last year were really informative and eye opening to me. Based on what I have learned here...I am more grateful now than I was back when Vermont banned such feeding.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Is that a chapstick in your pocket? Yes, yes it is!

Reactions: JDK

JDK

Reaction score
This entire chapstick conversation leaves me with a question...what's the best flavor?

Chapstick it's not just for lips anymore.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
The chapstick thing actually reminds me of a story Larry told at a seminar a friend and I attended. He was talking about the mental end of the games getting up everyday, sore legs, tired, and not always catching up to the buck you want. Then he mentions "and then there's the chafing that takes place" everyone laughs cause we know instantly what he's talking about...... ring sting!!! He then breaks into a story about why it's important to make sure you have something at camp to take care of it. I'll do my best to paraphrase his story

"One year I was at camp and we sat down to eat. This guy comes in looking like he'd been riding a horse all day. He sits down next to me kind of awkwardly. I asked him if he had seen anything and mention how sore he looks. He tells me he'd been on a big track all day that took him up and down mountains for miles and he never caught up to him. Then he says My ass is killing me though!!!! You got any saaaaaaauve I can use??!! I told him NO sorry can't help you!!! I had some in my satchel , but I didn't want his fingers rooting around in there!!!!"

Of course the room busts out into a pretty good laugh. It's become a pretty consistent inside joke between me and that friend over the years. It's usually the first thing I say to him when he picks me up on some road to bring me back to my truck. "Did you see anything today? Where the reply will be " you got and Saaaaaaaaauve????!!!!"

Even the great Larry Benoit had to battle a sore balloon knot. I gotta say, the chapstick thing has rivaled that story!!!

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
Before it was banned...there used to be some people feeding deer here in Vermont but on an extremely small scale compared to what is being talked about here. I have little knowledge of the history around this in Maine but I am guessing...as with most such things...that it started with good intentions on a relatively small scale and continued to grow to where it is now...even to the point of potential exploitation. Obviously, there are some questions concerning the long term health and viability of such a practice, ethical considerations others have alluded to, local traditions and economic issues associated with it. What are the unintended consequences? Is is possible over time to actually change the genetic makeup of these deer concerning homeostasis? A very complex multi-layered subject to say the least!

Thinking just In terms of antlers and weight...how can you compare deer that have to survive through a natural process in a yard to those that have been fed high nutritional food all winter long? It sort of reminds me of steroids in baseball...there is a reason Bonds and McGwire aren't yet in the Hall of Fame along with many others...and when/if they do ever get in will always have an asterisk.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Before it was banned...there used to be some people feeding deer here in Vermont but on an extremely small scale compared to what is being talked about here. I have little knowledge of the history around this in Maine but I am guessing...as with most such things...that it started with good intentions on a relatively small scale and continued to grow to where it is now...even to the point of potential exploitation. Obviously, there are some questions concerning the long term health and viability of such a practice, ethical considerations others have alluded to, local traditions and economic issues associated with it. What are the unintended consequences? Is is possible over time to actually change the genetic makeup of these deer concerning homeostasis? A very complex multi-layered subject to say the least!

Thinking just In terms of antlers and weight...how can you compare deer that have to survive through a natural process in a yard to those that have been fed high nutritional food all winter long? It sort of reminds me of steroids in baseball...there is a reason Bonds and McGwire aren't yet in the Hall of Fame along with many others...and when/if they do ever get in will always have an asterisk.
I completely agree with your first paragraph, but your second paragraph is where you and I differ a bit. Like steroids in baseball I feel scoring antlers has "ruined the game". I personally feel more negative has come from "keeping score" when hunting. Posted land being the largest negative.

Snowed

Reaction score
I live in northern VT but own a hunting camp in Allagash. I met Wayne this year but don't know him well so this isn't a buddy rushing to his defense but there are some things being said that just aren't accurate.

1. All deer in the Allagash area come to town to be fed during yarding time, so basically every buck shot up there comes to town to winter. The yards were all cut off so the areas we hunted in the 80's and 90's no longer hold deer. Even deer shot 15 miles in the NMW from Allagash come to town.

2. Thanksgiving week this year you could not find a deer track past mile marker 5 in either the Allagsh, Dickey or Little Black gates. So yes the deer were moving toward the town but this still encompasses a 20 - 25 square mile area; so it was hardly like shooting fish in a barrel.

3. I coincidentally was hunting the top of the mountain he shot the buck on the day he shot it and it was a long way from somebody's lawn.

4. It is true that this deer was well known by everybody that hunted or lived in that area. As far as I know the deer primarily fed at Mark McBreairty's place in the winter. The deer in town are fed high protein grain pellets, not corn; although this year they are going to feed alfalfa bales along with the grain. This feeding station is several miles from Wayne's guide service, so I seriously doubt that he was hand feeding this buck. It should be noted that if the people in the town of Allagash did not feed the deer in the winter there would be no deer so I for one appreciate their efforts to correct what the timber companies took away from the deer herd.

So from what I can see a hunter shot a buck of a lifetime and I congratulate him.
Very well said! Jealousy and envy can stir a lot social media poop! That’s a super nice buck and congrats the hunter.