1st NH Tom

MoBigsley

Reaction score
I shot my first NH Tom yesterday at 6:30am. I had roosted three Toms Saturday evening with my 7 year old nephew Derek. He had a blast and really wanted to go out with me on Sunday morning, but he really isn't ready for a "live hunt". Next year hopefully.

18 lbs
15/16" Spurs
10" Beard

Mo

Last edited:

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Taking it slow (on the killing part) is critical. I applaud you on your patience. My kids (now 14, 11, 7) love going tracking, spotting deer, and bird hunting with me or with dogs without a gun. This year I brought my 11 year old on a real bird hunt. My pup brought back a pheasant that was still kicking. I turned away from him to finish the process and my son turned away as well, but he turned back with a tear in his eye. He was impressed when he saw feathers fly, the dog retrieve, but having to "finish" - our responsibility- was tough for him to stomach. I would imagine "knockin' a noggin" at close range would be tough on a little guy.

BDB

Reaction score
Nice bird, congrats. I struggle with the age thing myself. It's a tough call as to when they are old enough and probably different kid by kid. Just getting them involved is critical in my mind.

NH-Archer

Reaction score
Nice bird!! Congrats!!! I started my daughter when she was able to shoot and not be scared of the gun. I use shooting sticks and she sits between my legs, so I can whisper and take the safety off for her. This year, she got her second bird!!! You NEED to take him out, even if it's just to watch. I can't go driving around looking for game without my daughter begging to go. I love it and it's memories for life!!!! Congrats again, sorry to get carried away!!

MoBigsley

Reaction score
congrats NIce 1st Bird
1st NH Tom..not first NH bird, I shot a jake last year in NH. Plus a couple Toms in Maine last year. :)

Nice bird, congrats. I struggle with the age thing myself. It's a tough call as to when they are old enough and probably different kid by kid. Just getting them involved is critical in my mind.
It's not so much the age or him being squeamish, its more about his maturity level around guns. Lets just say he's been exposed to too many inappropriate video games for kids his age. NOT my doing!!! I'm trying hard to get him to learn about proper gun safety / handling. Problem is I don't see him as often as I like so it will be a slow process. I started by giving him the 10 Commandments of firearms safety to study / memorize. When he can recite them to me, I told him I'd bring him to the range. So I agree, different kid by kid.

Mo

hornz

Reaction score
Congrats on your bird Mo and also for getting the young guy out roosting.