1952 Maine Hunting Tragedy

VTHunter08

Reaction score
wow paid a whopping $1600 for killing someone. crazy

RememberBaker

Reaction score
It's amazing how many hunting fatalities there were back then.

Browseline

Reaction score
I wondered how bad things were hunting in Maine in 1952 so I used Google. There were 19 hunting fatalities in 1952 in Maine. Makes you wonder how many others were hit and not killed or shot at and not hit.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I don't even know if I like it yet. ;)

Yeah but if you've got the shirt people will think you like it and you won't have to pretend to, like everyone else that drinks the crap.

Last edited:

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
This is a timely post. I had come across this article recently and was thinking about posting it over on the Maine forum...but didn't get around to it. Honestly, I think the subject matter had something to do with that. The thought of that many deaths during a hunting season is pretty staggering and it really made me grateful for all of the hunter education training that subsequently was implemented. If 16+ people were being killed a year...I honestly don't think that I would be out in the woods...and especially not with my children. The numbers don't lie...essentially there were a lot of people running around the woods who didn't have a clue.
I was talking to a guy awhile back who told me that he stopped hunting after an incident in the woods many years ago. He said that a hunter near him had shot so he made his way in that direction. When he ran into the guy he asked him what he had shot at. The guy responded that he didn't know. He said that he had taken a "sound-shot". Essentially...he had heard a sound in the thick brush and shot at it. "Sound-shot" was not a term associated with hunting that I was familiar with...and when he told me the story I had to ask him to repeat what he was saying for clarification. At the time...I admit that I only half believed him. After reading this article and doing some follow up research on the number of fatalities...I am convinced. Hunter education has obviously been a huge success! CS Phillips deer head 070.jpg

Latest posts