10-12 weight flyrod

JDK

Reaction score
Looking for an inexpensive 10-12 weight rod. Looking at Coltons right now. Need something that will throw 1/2 a chicken for muskie. Really trying to keep the cost down to $200 tops. Preferably less. Far less

I had a St Croix 9 weight that was ehhh at best. Shattered on me and the replacement plan wasn’t that good.

all thoughts appreciated

Big D

Reaction score
Orvis Clearwater lineup come in a little above your price but is a good rod with a good warranty. I use a 9 weight (not the Orvis) for saltwater and throw some pretty gaudy flies with it. We actually call one of them "the chicken". Not sure I'd want to be casting a bigger rod for any length of time.

OldHunter

Reaction score
I have a TFO Bluewater that I bought many years ago for tarpon fishing which I did very little of, if you are interested.

JDK

Reaction score
The Clearwater is on my short list. Some of my flies are 10-12 inches long. Certainly over what I want to spend but they all are.

I was very unimpressed with the St Croix. It couldn’t even handle the smaller flies well with a sink tip line. Did really hurt my feeelkngs when it shattered on a cast. Their replacement policy sucks however

anyway. I’ll probably wait as there are a couple of other things I need to spend on.

The_Dude_Abides

Reaction score
I purchased a rod from Cabelas for salmon fishing on the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY. I bought the “Behemoth” reel by Redington on Amazon and was impressed. For both the rod and reel I think I spent $150?

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I don't now much about fly fishing, but I have one from these guys. They're low priced and seems like pretty decent quality: